Thank you to the many families and staff members who attended last night’s Regular Meeting of the Oxford Preparatory Academy Board of Directors. Below you will find a recap and resources from the October 26th meeting as well as recent noteworthy updates within our organization.
Communication from our Oxford Prep-SOC Authorizer
On October 24th, Oxford Preparatory Academy received a follow up letter issued by Capistrano Unified School District (CUSD) to our September 28th response regarding their September 15th Notice of Concern. In this letter, CUSD requested a response from Oxford Prep to reply to this most recent correspondence by November 6, 2017.
This week’s communication from our SOC authorizer is is available for your review here. Once our team has prepared a response to this this letter, it will be shared with our stakeholders in a future Organization Update.
Reports from Closed Session
Upon returning from closed session, Board Vice Chair Joseph Haney reported that the Board has voted to consolidate its current mediation of any potential litigation involving Sue Roche with the law firm of Theodora Oringher who has been representing the organization in its litigation with Edlighten. Procopio is no longer representing Oxford Preparatory Academy in this matter.
Oxford Prep’s Board Treasurer Raymond Jackson reported that the Board is directing staff to further work with a consultant to secure final proposals from a national search firm with an intent to hire an external Executive Director candidate. Mr. Jackson explained that the reason our organization will search for an external candidate is because the previous Executive Director process was corrupted when a then sitting Board Member shared highly confidential information with an internal candidate. Information shared included other candidate resumes and some of the potential interview questions. Those emails were discovered based on a bulk request from the Orange County Department of Education, who serves as the authorizer of our Oxford Prep Saddleback Valley school.
Items for Discussion/Action
Oxford’s Board unanimously approved the following discussion/action items:
- Amended Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between Orange County Board of Education (OCDE) and Oxford Preparatory Academy for the Operation of Oxford Prep-Saddleback Valley.
- Approved the Amended 2017-18 July 1 (“Final”) Budget for Oxford Prep-SOC.
- Approved a Resolution authorizing a bank account change from California Credit Union to Wells Fargo for Electronic Fund Transfers (EFT) from the OCDE.
- Appointed Governance Committee members Joseph Haney and Albert Diaz to designate qualified candidates for election to Oxford Prep’s Board of Directors.
- Approved Resolutions determining to spend the Oxford Prep Saddleback Valley, SOC, and Chino Valley Education Protection Account monies in accordance with Article XIII, Section 36 of the CA Constitution.
Items for Information
- Mr. Andy Stern of Charter Impact provided a financial update for September 2017.
- Oxford Prep Board Treasurer Raymond Jackson shared that, after positive feedback from final test streams, regular live streaming of Board Meetings will be available to all stakeholders in the very near future. While recorded audio will continue to serve as our official archive method, these live YouTube streams will provide a supplemental resource for our community to learn about the important information that is shared in presentations as well as the decisions being made by our Board of Directors for our schools.
- The Finance Committee is actively seeking qualified candidates to sit on the Audit Committee. Expressions of interest can be emailed to Mr. Raymond Jackson at email@example.com.
- The Governance Committee will be reviewing all Board of Director applications for the Board’s open seat and will be scheduling interviews in the near future.
For additional information from the October 26, 2017, Regular Meeting of the Oxford Board of Directors, please visit the Board of Directors’ webpage for the meeting’s audio archive.