Thank you to all Oxford Prep stakeholders who attended the November 30th Regular Meeting of the Oxford Preparatory Academy Board of Directors. Prior to the meeting beginning, the Oxford Prep-Saddleback Valley and South Orange County parents, teachers, administration, staff, and Board Members came together for a Friendship Feast. Our community collaborated on a multi-campus potluck dinner and enjoyed a time to connect and reflect on this season of thankfulness.
Below you will find a recap and resources from the November 30, 2017 meeting as well as recent communication updates between Oxford Prep and our Orange County Department of Education charter authorizer. As a reminder, links to this meeting’s agenda, supporting documents, and audio recording can be found on our Board of Directors’ web page.
Communications from our Oxford Prep-Saddleback Valley Authorizer
In a letter dated November 2, 2017, the Orange County Department of Education (OCDE) sent a correspondence to Oxford Preparatory Academy outlining OCDE’s position on compliance by charter schools to Government Code section 1090 and other state conflict of interest laws. In this letter, OCDE requested a written response from Oxford Prep by November 27, 2017.
In a November 27th written response Dr. Lisa Hall, Oxford Prep’s Interim Managing Director, affirmed Oxford’s compliance, as agreed upon in a recently approved Agreement between OCDE and Oxford. Additionally, Oxford Prep’s Conflict of Interest Code was included in this response. During last Thursday’s meeting, Oxford’s Board of Directors ratified the adoption of a policy that complements our current Conflict of Interest policy implementing the requirements of Government Code Section 1090. This new board policy can be found here.
Additionally on November 7, 2017, OCDE issued Oxford Prep a notice of concern regarding the number of special board meetings held by Oxford’s Board of Directors. In this letter, OCDE requested a response from Oxford Prep to this correspondence by November 22, 2017.
Oxford Interim Managing Director, Dr. Lisa Hall, provided a comprehensive response and Oxford’s Calendar of Regular Board of Directors Meetings for the 2017-2018 School Year to OCDE’s notice in a letter dated November 21, 2017.
Items for Discussion/Action
Oxford’s Board took the following actions on the agendized discussion/action items:
- Approved the 2016-2017 Oxford Preparatory Academy Financial Audit prepared by Christy White Associates
- Approved Board Resolution 2017-013 Distribution Plan for Remaining Unrestricted Assets of Oxford Preparatory Academy – Chino Valley Charter School
- Approved the 2017-2018 First Interim Financial Report for Oxford Prep South Orange County
- Approved the 2017-2018 First Interim Financial Report for Oxford Prep Saddleback Valley
- Approved the Conflict of Interest Policy Implementing the Requirements of Government Code Section 1090
- Approved Contracting with Leadership Associates for a Nationwide Executive Director Search
- Approved a plan to fill the current Board vacancy with a goal to fill the seat by the February 22, 2018 scheduled Regular Meeting
- Tabled staff recommendation related to the creation of OPA Board agendas
- Approved staff recommendation to commence a study regarding staffing and organizational plans for OPA with an update scheduled from the Interim Managing Director by January’s Regular Board Meeting
- Approved staff recommendation regarding pay scales for OPA employees and directed the Interim Managing Director to update the Board at the January Regular Meeting
Oxford Prep-Saddleback Valley Chancellor, Tammy Lohoff, presented an update on Oxford Prep’s Local Control Accountability Plan (LCAP), explained the eight state LCAP priorities, and shared how our schools are meeting the four Local Indicators identified within the California School Dashboard. The LCAP and Dashboard are California’s new accountability system which provides information about how Local Educational Agencies and schools are meeting the needs of California’s diverse student population.
For additional information from the November 30, 2017 Regular Meeting of the Oxford Board of Directors, please visit the Board of Directors’ webpage for the meeting’s audio archive and additional resources.
SOC Advisory Council Nominees Accepted Through December 8th
Oxford Prep-SOC is currently accepting nominations for one vacant parent/guardian seat on the school Advisory Council. Current Oxford Prep-SOC parents are invited to apply for this one year term through Friday, December 8th.
If you are interested in running for a seat on the Oxford Prep-SOC Advisory Council, nomination forms are due no later than December 8th at 11:59 PM. Please complete your form in one of the following ways:
- Apply online at https://soc.oxfordpreparatoryacademy.com/advisory-council
- Pick up an application form in the office
- Scan and email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Return the completed form to the Oxford Prep-SOC office in a sealed envelope