Dressing for Success in the Classroom
It is the intent of Oxford that students be dressed and groomed in an appropriate manner that will not interfere with, or detract from, the school environment or disrupt the educational process. In order to promote and instill a professional, effective, and healthy learning environment, foster school unity and community pride, eliminate social stigmas that may be attributed to attire, and to minimize distractions to allow students to focus on learning, the Oxford Board and community has developed a Uniform Policy.
Required Student Uniform
Uniform details vary by school site. Please click below for the specific requirements for your child’s school.
South Orange County
Oxford’s Uniform Policy – The Details
- All students are expected to wear clothes that comply with our uniform dress code policy to school each day and on field trips.
- Uniform pieces with Oxford logos are available for purchase, however, students are not required to purchase their uniform from any specific vendor.
- Any student or parent who needs assistance with identifying or purchasing the school uniform should contact your school’s office.
- No student shall be sent home from school or denied attendance to school, or penalized academically or otherwise discriminated against, for noncompliance with this Uniform Policy. We will contact parents and provide the student with a uniform for the day.
- Students or parents requesting an exemption from any provision of this dress code for religious or other reasons should contact your school’s office.
- Shoes for all students (TK-8) will be closed toe and should coordinate with the school uniform (coordinating colors for Saddleback Valley and Chino Valley are black, white, grey, silver, and aqua. Coordinating colors for SOC are black, white, grey, silver, orange, and aqua). Socks should also coordinate with the school uniform colors.
More About Oxford’s Uniform Policy
- Students’ classroom University or Oxford spirit hats or caps are allowed for outdoor use only;
- Clothes and belts must be the appropriate size and length when worn;
- Socks, tights, and leggings should coordinate with the school uniform (coordinating colors are black, white, grey, silver, and aqua);
- All outerwear (such as jackets, hoodies, sweaters and sweatshirts) should coordinate with the school uniform (coordinating colors for Saddleback Valley and Chino Valley are black, white, grey, silver, and aqua whilecoordinating colors for SOC are black, white, grey, silver, orange, and aqua); and
- All items, unless otherwise indicated, must be solid color.
The following items are considered inappropriate and are contrary to the Uniform Policy:
- Clothing that contains any pattern, design, or logo that is disruptive or inappropriate, vulgar, violent, or discriminatory. Oxford does not tolerate any clothing or other personal items that promote drugs, gangs, alcohol, smoking, sex, profanity, or violence;
Clothing which allows undergarments to be seen;
- Distracting hair styles, such as mohawks, spiked hair and unnatural colored hair (e.g., orange, blue, green);
- Roller shoes/Heelys;
- Make-up for 7th and 8th graders: should be natural, light make-up only with no eyeliner and no lipstick; and
- Clothing that is excessively large or tight.
Where to Buy
As previously mentioned, uniforms for Oxford Preparatory Academy can be purchased from the store of your choosing. For your convenience, we have provided links to several retailers below.
The information on this page is based on the Oxford Prep Board approved Uniform Policy for the TK-8 and Independent Study Programs. This policy has been adopted by the Oxford Board of Directors in compliance with the provisions of Article IX, section 5 of the California Constitution, and Assembly Bill 1575 (effective January 1, 2013), which prohibit the charging of any student fees for participation in an educational activity at a public school.
PLEASE NOTE: In any cases concerning interpretation of this Uniform Policy, Oxford reserves the right to determine what constitutes proper compliance.